Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Virginia is the host of the most prestigious military parade in the United States, the Norfolk NATO Festival’s Annual Parade of Nations! Over 100 parade units comprised of high school bands, US and international military bands represent each one of the twenty-eight NATO member nations. Traveling high school bands that participate in the parade also look forward to attending a performance of the Virginia International Tattoo, the world’s most patriotic tattoo.
Busch Gardens is the backdrop for another performing opportunity in the Norfolk/Virginia area, the Music In The Park Festival. Bands perform and then have some fun in the park which includes an evening awards ceremony.
Other sight-seeing options include;
- Touring the Naval Station Norfolk
- A tour through the Cape Henry Lighthouse, built in 1792
- A visit to the Military Aviation Museum
- A Cruise on the American Rover sailing ship
- Kayaking, sailing, fishing and crabbing at area beaches
Groups that extend their stay in the area are well rewarded by traveling two hours to the Assateague Island National Seashore. Over 37 miles of pristine beaches, island pine forest and salt marshes are home to more than 300 wild ponies. The hope is to see these animals running free.
If you’re interested in taking your band or choir students on a Norfolk/Virginia Beach performance tour, review our itineraries below to learn more about our suggested trip highlights!
NATO Parade of Nations
Assateague Wild Horses
- March in the Annual NATO Parade of Nations
- Music Festivals
- Public Performances
- Music clinic with a local school
- Scope Arena, Wells Theatre
- Portsmouth Pavillion, Sandler Center for Performing Arts
- Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheatre
Activities and Sightseeing
- Naval Station Norfolk
- Cape Henry Lighthouse
- Military Aviation Museum
- Busch Gardens
- Assateague Island National Seashore
- American Rover Sailing Ship Cruise
- Beach Kayaking, Fishing and Crabbing